Sunday, November 13, 2011

Love

So as you may have noticed, I'm from the South. I was mostly raised there, and although I'm not a Southern girl by birth (and I'm still not really a Southern girl), I consider the South my home sweet home. I miss it a lot when at school, but too be honest who knows if I'll ever really move back.

But this post isn't about that - it's about something the South forced me to do. No, it's not capitalize the "s" in South to make it a proper noun, although that is why it's capitalized because people from the South do think the South is the best place ever. It's about something everyone in the country relates with the South - Greek Life.

If you had known me back before college, I didn't exactly seem like the sorority "type." I just wasn't someone who you would imagine to become Ms. Ra-Ra Sorority in college. But because I grew up around talks of mixers and parties and big Greek-lettered houses and rush and pins and cheers and frat tats and more, I decided to give it a try come college. Hell, I already knew so much about that it! It seemed like something to do, some place to help me adjust to college, and at the very least, some group of people that I could do the typical "college" things. It just seemed like something I would be a part of, nothing special.

I wish I woulda known before senior year how much I'd actually grow to love my sorority, my sisters, and who I've become because I was a part of DC Alpha Pi Beta Phi, because then I could've taken more advantage of my time in the chapter.

It's cliche and sounds stupid when I try to explain it, but this sorority literally means so much to me. The big Southern schools you're probably thinking of are the complete opposite of GW Greek Life. Not to diss my friends at those types of schools, but I'm not quite sure that the 250+ member chapter do even close to what GW Greek Life does - GW actually does most things for charity, and partying is not what Greek Life is known for. We're not the Greek Life seen in the movies, and that's what I like about it.

And my sorority, in my opinion, is the best, especially for me. Not to drone on forever and ever, so I'll briefly explain. My chapter and sisters has given me the courage to do anything and everything. I have no fear, knowing that I have a support system like them. They are always there for me, and I know every single person in my chapter, including the 45 that were initiated yesterday. I love each one because as unique as we are, we come together because of what this organization has given to us. The even more cliche thing is that we do all share the same values.



I've attended formals and date parties as much or less as I've attended philanthropy events and speakers. I've traveled with my sisters, even meeting up with them while abroad. I've laughed and cried at my best and worst times, and none of them have judged me for either. I've served as an executive board member (twice...) and as a regular chapter member. I've lived in our housing and lived away from it. I've done so much and changed for the better and I cannot really describe how its affected my college career.

Honestly, I could go on and on, but its not the same unless you're 1.) in Greek life or 2.) even really know what I'm talking about which is hard in general for anyone not a DC Alpha Pi Phi. All I can say is that I'm proud of the chapter I joined and cannot wait to see what they accomplish in the future. I'll be passing on my position to the next person sooner rather than later, and it's bittersweet to know that come May my status on our electronic system will be moved to "Alumna."

But at the end of the day, we're "friends and leaders for life." I have the courage to face life after graduation because of what Pi Phi has given me, and I have absolutely no fear or doubt that it, and more importantly my sisters, will be there for me when I do and don't need them later.


Thanks for the memories. I'm so glad I did.


Always,
Caroline


4 comments:

  1. As a southerner I get what you are saying 100% about joining a sorority being the thing to do. I never even really occurred to me that I didn't have to join a sorority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya girl. I am not in a sorority, but I went to an all girls school in high school and it was the same deal. The girls meant everything to me and there is some type of higher-power-sisterly-bond that is inexplainable - and only those who have experienced it can understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't have sororities - but I saw them in action at USC. My wife was in one at Penn that was a little like sororities are, from what you describe here (Sigma Kappa)... I definitely feel like I missed out, and I think that's what has drawn me to playing rugby for so many years (Though that era has now ended, sadly)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled upon this post in the midst of writing my thesis prospectus. It made me cry (there go those emotions I mentioned in chapter Sunday). I'm so honored to be your friend, your pledge sister, and most importantly, your sister in the wine and blue.
    PPL&M

    ReplyDelete