Saturday, November 26, 2011

Wind Beneath My Wings

I realize that it's not December yet, but with Thanksgiving just having past it's holiday season. This just happens to be among one of my favorite times of the year, because it's a time where everyone starts to think a little bit more and stop rushing around in life. It can be about the materials, seeing as two of the three holidays during this time (Christmas and Chanukah, sorry Kwanza) involve presents, but for many its about family and love and laughter and happiness.

In light of that, a few days late is my list of things that I'm thankful for. But in pure IWIWK (I Wish I Woulda Known) fashion, it will be in things I wish I was thankful for before this year.

I WISH I WOULDA BEEN THANKFUL EARLIER FOR:
1. My Education - Yes, it seems weird that I haven't been thankful before now for it, but having my last semester of undergrad approaching so soon really has made me value the education I receive. I'm getting a better and more well-rounded one than so many of my friends at other schools (if you're reading this, other non-GW friends, sorry but I think it's true) and I am getting so much out of it. Not only do I love the classes I take but I learn from them and they, for the most part, are going to help me in whatever I end up doing. My classes have taught me not only the content of the course but also what I enjoy and what I don't. My education is so highly rated that it's not just another school - it is The George Washington University.

2. My University - This is different from my education because college isn't just about the learning. It's about the experiences as well. I admit - I complain about GW a lot. The financial aid office is in a deadzone for cell service so when you have to go there and have to ask your parents a question it's a huge process. My heater still hasn't gotten fixed in my bathroom. The security alert system is too slow. And plenty of other complaints. But all in all, GW is the best school for me and I am so happy that I ended up here. I wasn't too happy at first, but let me say GO COLONIALS RAISE HIGH! The students are interesting and sometimes we get a bad rap, but I am one of them and I love being apart of the GWU/Foggy Bottom community (and metro stop). GW lets us take advantage of everything it and the city has to offer, and I am so much better off for the future being here than at another school. And you state school kids can boast all you want about all the raging parties you had and how you're a party school and how you have a great business school and blah blah blah but please, if you really want to debate a GW kid about who's school is better, go ahead. We will win because we are better. And by the way - we don't need to use college sports as an excuse to party. We do it anyway.

3. My Computer - Without going into too much detail, my computer has never failed me, unlike the cell phones I've had, even my car. God Bless you Steve Jobs.

4. Reusable Bags - If you don't know, Washington DC has a $.05 tax on every plastic bag bought. As someone going into the real world soon enough and won't really have that extra 5 cents to spend on a few bags, thanks to all the events/companies that have handed out reusable bags in the past year or so, saving me money in the future.

And 5. Easy Mac, Ramen Noodles, and Campusfood.com - You three have kept me fed over the past 3.5 years and will continue to do so until I have an acceptable income. It's about time that I thanked you for all that you do. Seriously, I'd be dead without you.

These 5 things truly have made my time in college amazing, and with a semester left I'm glad that I could finally publicly thank them for all they do. They truly are the wind beneath my wings/arms.

Always,
Caroline

"Wind Beneath My Wings" is originally written by Jeff Silbar and Larry Henley and performed by Gary Morris.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. You should find a way to share this with incoming freshmen. I feel like people can't truly appreciate there college experience unless they have learned the value of those 5 things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh, unfortunately the grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it? great post.

    ReplyDelete